Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentines Day Commuting

Down into the depths of Tenleytown-American University Metro stop. People are hurriedly making their way either up or down the escalator. People are dashing every which way trying to get on their respective trains . They are either commuting into Downtown DC or commuting from it. A man pushes past me to make it to the train I idly wonder when the next one is coming . . . ah yes two whole minutes.After getting on the train I snapped a quick picture as the doors close and the other train is ready to whisk it's passengers away.Only the woman in the lower right hand corner of the picture talks to someone the entire metro ride. Everyone else is buried reading the papers as if they were desperately trying to find someone way to actively ignore their fellow Metro riders. I try and talk to someone . . . I get a very queer look for my efforts.At Dupont circle even more people get on the metro. It is officially standing room only! The quietness however still prevails. A beacon of light shines above head. It is as if they lightness of day is permeating through. I hope I can get some friendly directions to the IFC World Bank.It seems as if more people should be occupying this street rushing through desperately trying to get somewhere.I try asking these ladies for directions. I guess I shouldn't have started out with "HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!" but then again I did get to see that queer look however briefly before they turned around and nervously awaited till they could safely cross the street away from me. I stopped in this important looking building for directions. He told me I was on the right road just keep going. But to where I wanted to ask? He wouldn't let me take his picture.After thinking I was quite lost and was definitely quite cold I come upon the World Bank. It was very anticlimactic. There was no one to witness my small triumph. No one to care about my early morning journey. I try asking these fellows about the World Bank, whether or not they had an account there. They laughed and gave each other bemused looks. But they couldn't spare me a few words. At least they found my joke funny. At least I hope they knew it was a joke . . . Anyway.This woman stormed right into my back and kept walking. I guess World Bank people have never heard of the words Excuse and Me, and that pretty much sums up my entire commuting experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home