Monday, February 06, 2006

INTERFACE: At the Fraser Gallery -- BETHESDA, MARYLAND

It was a delight to see both art and technology working in such a cohesive manner. I danced in front of a "painting," text-messaged the artist about his work like I was texting a friend back home, I played the blame game with other gallery go-ers and made a painting look at me like I was a shifty shoplifter and it were nervous shopkeeper. The gadgets, the bells and the whistles of the show, however didn't detract from the actual purpose of the show, art. It was interesting how artists used technology not just as an enhancement but as part of the experience of art. No matter how cool the technology maybe, without content with a message, without an actually purpose technology masquerading as art falls flat. I was pleased to note that for this show it was exactly the opposite. Yet what was so engaging? I understood what the artist was trying to convey, but I was also able in some of the pieces to give back, make my own impression upon the work. I felt as if it was necessary for me to be there in order for these works of art to come alive. Some pieces worked more effectively with merging two typically divergent themes, Art and technology, other's hinted at the possibilities that could be awaked with integrating technology that is so commonplace in our everyday lives in the fine arts world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home